Teflon Car Wax:
Are we being mislead as consumers?
Teflon car wax is
a topic within the world of auto detailing filled with much bad and
misleading information. Let me give you a brief peak behind the curtain
of Marketing 101 and car paint care for a moment; it is called guilt by
Simply attach yourself to a well known product or person, and you gain automatic credibility; happens all the time with celebrity endorsements! In the case of "Teflon", manufacturers use the notoriety of the DuPont Teflon name by adding some insignificant amount of DuPonts' "active" ingredient, and voila'! We have instant credibility!
Guilt by Association
This practice is used by far more than the car care industry as the DuPont name is universally known. The car care industry has added the name brand version of liquid polymers known as Teflon, to many products like waxes, cleaners, and dressings.
Within the world of car care products, there are endless terms and labels that are continually misused, interchanged, and misleading. Teflon, sealants, and waxes are simply just a few and the subject of polymer technology and Teflon is only part of the many! I am unsure as to who was the first manufacturer to add "Teflon" to car wax, which matters not. The critical thing to know as a consumer is that the real science or magic behind the Teflon name is simply polymer technology. Or the use of synthetic ingredients that are designed to out-perform and out-last natural based formulations made typically with carnauba wax ingredients.
Teflon Car Wax: The Critical Information
Because DuPont and Teflon is such a well known name and used in so many applications, it was simply a matter of time that the car care industry started to use this well known name to sell more and more products to ignorant people.
What You Really Need to Know....
- Searching for a true DuPont Teflon car wax will be an exercise in frustration as the product virtually is non-existent these days.
- There are far better products on the market if you are sold on the idea of synthetics, polymers, or Teflon car wax.
- The majority of car waxes will be a hybrid blend of both natural carnauba wax and synthetic ingredients. Because of this, I don't spend much time over-thinking this area and really look for products that come with what I call the winning combination of benefits.
Darren's Simplified Approach to Car Wax
If you enjoy roaming the Internet for hours reading one car wax review after another, trying to decide on the best car wax or the best car sealant...
then by all means, have at it!
But if you are really looking for time tested and proven products that promise to perform and want to get down to business, let me offer my professional recommendations:
Synthetic Car Paint Sealants:
My New Favorite
The topic of car waxes and paint sealants is a topic we have learned gets rather confusing for many beginners very quickly.
So I am starting with a product that will outperform any Teflon car wax you could ever get, and perform to a level of any other car paint sealant on the market.
Chemical Guys WAC_118_16 JetSeal Anti-Corrosion Sealant and Paint Protectant (16 oz)
- A favorite for all car guys regardless of your level of experience (car owner, car enthusiast, professional detailer)
- Chemical guys is a massively popular line of car care from complete beginner to hard-core professional!
- I have yet to try a Chemical Guy's product I didn't love.
- This is perfect size for all!
- Unlike many of the professional only products, you are not forced to buy a gallon of product that would take most of you a life-time to use.
Teflon Car Wax:
Here is where we enter the world of more traditional car paint sealants. Even though a Teflon car wax in its purest form would be considered a paint sealant, these versions below will not be hyped-up with the use of the word Teflon, and therefore not be officially labeled as a Teflon car wax which we have already learned is a bad representation in many ways already.
Mothers 05716 California Gold Synthetic Wax - 16 oz.
- A quality car paint sealant put out by a well known and trusted name.
- I was first introduced to this by a fellow detailer that convinced me that it will perform to professional standards despite it being what is considered a retail product.
- Super easy to apply and remove.
- If you are afraid of change and unwilling to sample the Reload above, then this quality Teflon car wax alternative will not disappoint you.
Wolfgang WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
- Wolfgang has a huge following among professionals and enthusiasts alike.
- I have not personally tried all of Wolfgang products, but I have yet to be disappointed in any of the products I have tried so far.
- Not only have I been pleasantly surprised at the performance of their products, but also here the same enthusiasm form other fellow detailers regarding this car paint sealant and their other products.
- Massive amount of positive reviews on Amazon.
- Perhaps the perfect Teflon car wax substitute if you want a car paint sealant that is more traditional than the Reload spray sealant at the top of my recommendations.
Teflon Auto Wax Summary
If the idea of synthetic car paint sealants are a new concept to you, I think you are in for a real treat. Use this checklist to see if they might be for you:
- Synthetics create a more slippery "feel" than that of traditional carnauba based car waxes.
- Professionally accepted as providing more durability over natural carnauba based car waxes.
- For people looking to wax as little as possible.
- Make sure to prep your car first with a quality clay bar. (If you are a beginner you will likely want to skip this part out of your inexperience and wanting to rush things. I cannot stress enough the importance of preparing the surface of your car first by removing any of the paint contaminants that the clay bar will be able to remove)
”Serving Orange County, CA for Over 25 Years”
Car Wax Reviews
Teflon Car Wax